One of the paintings from the series The Women by Sarah Awad
Currently at Diane Rosenstein Fine Art, this show closes Saturday (11/30).
Clip from Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
This is such a great movie and perfect for Thanksgiving. It was nominated for several Academy Awards, including best picture, and won Edmund Gwenn an Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. All the performances are wonderful, especially Natalie Wood as the little girl who doesn’t believe in Santa.
Some interesting trivia about the film via IMDB:
- They used the actual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade from 1946 in the film.
- Unbeknownst to most parade watchers, Edmund Gwenn played Santa Claus in the actual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held November 28, 1946. He fulfilled the duties of most parade Santas, including addressing the crowd from the marquee of Macy’s after the parade was over. He was introduced to the crowd by actor Philip Tonge (he played Mr. Shellhammer in the movie) and he later unveiled the mechanical Christmas display windows to the accompaniment of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker Suite.” This gesture symbolized the opening of the Christmas shopping season at the store.
- According to Natalie Wood’s biographer, during the shoot, the young actress was convinced that Edmund Gwenn was actually Santa Claus (by all accounts, Gwenn was a very good-natured man on the set). It wasn’t until Wood saw him out of costume at the wrap party that she realized he wasn’t Santa.
- Received a ‘B’ rating (morally objectionable in part) from the highly influential Legion of Decency because Maureen O’Hara played a divorcée.
(Image via American Greetings)
Happy Thanksgivukkah! Celebrate today, because Thanksgiving and Hanukkah won’t coincide again until 2070.
Some things to do this holiday weekend in Los Angeles:
- Gobble Gobble Give (10am-1pm Thanksgiving)- http://gobblegobblegive.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/gobble-gobble-give-2013/
- Old Pasadena Home for the Holidays (Friday) 4-8pm- Holiday Celebration- http://www.oldpasadena.org/holiday/
- Thanksgivukkah celebration at the Pico Union Project (Friday)- http://thanksgivukkah.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/the-thanksgivukkah-festival-los-angeles/
- MNDR at Los Globos (Friday) – http://www.clublosglobos.com/event/406089-mndr-los-angeles/
- The third part of Emilie Halpern’s Shoka opens Saturday 6-8pm- http://www.pepinmoore.com/PM/EmilieHalpernShoka.html
- Nightmares on Wax at the El Rey (Saturday)- http://www.theelrey.com/events/detail/244319
- 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Egyptian (Saturday)- http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/2001-a-space-odyssey-6
- Holiday Global Bazaar at The Craft and Folk Art Museum (Saturday)- http://globalbazaar.cafam.org/
- The Hollywood Christmas Parade (Sunday) Stevie Wonder, The Goo Goo Dolls and many others are performing- http://thehollywoodchristmasparade.org/
Images from Lari Pittman’s From A Late Western Impaerium
From the Regen Projects press release:
Pittman’s From A Late Western Impaerium constructs a loose narrative of nationhood that travels between our present time and the distant past. The compositionally dense works play with the social and current realities of today, with an interest in ornamentation and surface, and draw on the legacy of history as told through the Western canon of painting and the applied arts. Pittman poses the question of what a contemporary “history painting” might be today.
For more information about Lari Pittman, check out this article in Artillery Magazine – http://artillerymag.com/magic-carpet-ride/
The show is up until December 21, 2013.
Today (11/23) at Regen Projects there is also a Raymond Pettibon book signing from 4-6pm.
Missy Elliott- The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
This video from 1997 has lots of cameos, including Yo-Yo, Puffy and Lil Kim.
Bent Shapes- Panel of Experts
Things to do in Los Angeles this weekend-
- Bent Shapes are playing free tonight (Thursday) at Origami Vinyl- http://origamimusic.blogspot.com/
- Jonathan Lethem and Raymond Pettibon conversation at The Hammer (Thursday)- http://hammer.ucla.edu/calendar/detail/type/program/id/1959
- LOVE NAIL TREE Presents: Story- (Thursday-Sunday) – https://www.facebook.com/events/436300543142301/
- David Lynch art exhibit opening at Kayne Griffin Corocoran (Saturday)- http://www.kaynegriffincorcoran.com/exhibition/view/58/naming/
- Great Los Angeles Walk-Echo Park to the ocean-(Saturday)- http://www.greatlawalk.com/
- Matthew Bourne’s ballet Sleeping Beauty at the Ahmanson (11/21-12/1)- http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/Sleeping-Beauty/
- Eat to the Beat Pre-Thanksgiving Food event at Grand Central Market- free food and DJs (Saturday)- http://www.grandcentralmarket.com/blog/146/events-eat-to-the-beat
- Calder and Abstraction: From Avant-Garde to Iconic opens Sunday at LACMA- http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/calder-and-abstraction-avant-garde-iconic
- Beck’s Song Reader at Walt Disney Concert Hall (Sunday)- http://www.laphil.com/tickets/beck039s-song-reader/2013-11-24
Emilie Halpern’s work @Pepin Moore Gallery
The second part of her three part show closes 11/23.